2017 marked the Diamond Jubilee of Redesmere Sailing Club and to celebrate its journey from a field by a lake where the cows came down to drink, to the vibrant, friendly Club we know today, a series of events were held through July, including;
- Diamond Jubilee Dinner, at the Swettenham Arms
- Jubilee Social Sail. Alongside the usual range of free-sailing and Club Boats, there were fun and entertaining games for social sailors of all ages and experience. These included,
- -On the water treasure hunt (family or team)
- -Ice-cream race for children
- -Blindfold rigging
- -Out and back across the lake carrying a beaker of juice – winner had to bring back the most juice (not lake water!)
- -Adult/parent 'racing' in Optimists: a fun event not to be missed and one that generated a range of photo moments and challenges for the Race Officer. It' definitely wasn't serious, but…
Jubilee Royal celebration, when we were joined by HRH The Princess Royal, President of the RYA. As a lifelong sailor, HRH was delighted to go out on the lake with our sailors, even starting a Junior race event, before joining other Club Members ashore for a number of interesting discussions, presenting a range of RYA Training certificates and formally opening the extended Club foreshore facilities.
A selection of photographs from the Royal Visit are available in the Club Gallery.