2017 marked the Diamond Jubilee of Redesmere Sailing Club and to celebrate its journey from a field by a lake where the cows came down to drink, to the vibrant, friendly Club we know today, a series of events were held through July, including;
- Diamond Jubilee Dinner, at the Swettenham Arms
- Jubilee Social Sail, where, alongside the usual range of free-sailing and Club Boats, there were fun and entertaining games for social sailors of all ages and experience. These included,
- On the water treasure hunt (family or team)
- Ice-cream race for children
- Blindfold rigging
- Out and back across the lake carrying a beaker of juice; winner had to bring back the most juice (not lake water!)
- Adult/parent 'racing' in Optimists: a fun event not to be missed and one that generated a range of photo moments and challenges for the Race Officer. It' definitely wasn't serious, but...
- Jubilee Royal Celebration, when we were joined by HRH The Princess Royal, President of the RYA. As a lifelong sailor, HRH was delighted to go out on the lake with our sailors, even starting a Junior race event, before joining other Club Members ashore for a number of interesting discussions, presenting a range of RYA Training certificates and formally opening the extended Club foreshore facilities.
A selection of photographs from the Royal Visit are available in the Club Gallery.