VIRTUAL SAILING IS HERE - GET ON THE WATER DURING LOCKDOWN...
Published 12:00am on 20 Apr 2020
As an alternative to on the water sailing, Redesmere sailors have taken to the world of Virtual Sailing - it may not be a first choice of activity for those who choose the 'outdoors', but it is a great option in the current difficult circumstances...The RYA and World Sailing have partnered with 'Virtual Regatta' to offer an online game that provides players with an opportunity to race against friends, fellow sailors and real-world Olympic champions. Like normal Club sailing, the opportunities are wide, including general online racing, single-Club events, inter-Club challenges, and RYA led regional and national championships and a World Championship - open to all-comers.
Redesmere is currently running have three regular events,
- Virtual Ladies That Launch, Monday evenings, 7pm-8pm - Informal virtual sailing races, particularly focussed on women at the Club (sailors or otherwise), with the option for real-time discussions using WhatsApp or Zoom.
- Virtual RC Sailing, Tuesday mornings, 11am -12noon - Virtual sailing races for anyone with time in the morning, not just RC sailors, with the option for real-time discussions using WhatsApp.
- Virtual Wednesday Evenings, from 22nd April, 7:00pm - A virtual sailing series, with normal RSC race points scoring, in lieu of our regular Spring Midweek Series. WhatsApp and/or Zoom will be available for real-time 'engagement'.
If you would like to know more about Virtual Sailing, or even 'wet-water' sailing, at the Club please Contact Us
How to Discover Virtual Sailing
For those who haven't looked at virtual sailing yet, the most popular format is Virtual Regatta (VR) - this is supported by both the RYA and World Sailing - and it's free!
It's very easy to get started in VR and there are several sources of information on getting started,
- The RYA's Virtual Regatta web-guide
- Our own 'VR for Dummies' type guide, prepared by Club Members.
- VR's own in-game 'Sailing School' - it's pretty much essential to complete this to have any understanding of how to sail in the game and only takes a few minutes to complete!
- The RYA's own eSailing video guides:
- VR's own Help
For the most competitive of us, the top ten ranking British eSailors will both take part in a Live Final event in September, where the 2020 GBR eSailing National Champion will be crowned, and qualify for the eSailing World Championship Finals Playoff.
So why not give it a go, simply visit www.virtualregatta.com or download the 'Virtual Regatta Inshore' App from the App Store or Google Play; it might start as a fun distraction, but, who knows, you might be the next eSailing World Champion..